Me at Edzell Castle in Scotland, UK

Me at Edzell Castle in Scotland, UK
A friend and I traveled to Scotland and this is inside Edzell Castle.

Monday, February 20, 2012

I suppose I should start this blog off by giving a little basic background information on myself followed by my political beliefs/knowledge and finished with an explanation/description of this Blog.

My name is Carrie Hicks. I recently turned 26 (on New Years Eve. I know. Awesome birthday!) I have an Associate of Arts degree in Merchandising and Design with an emphasis in Fashion Design from Wade College in Dallas, TX. My dream job would be a costume designer/stylist fr tv and films, but considering how hard the fashion industry is to enter I have decided to go back to school to get a Bachelors in Public Relations from Texas State. That way I will hopefully be able to have a steady job and then do fashion on the side as a profitable (hopefully) hobby. I was born in Alabama and because of that I don't have the "Must always live and die in Texas" mentality and I hope to travel and explore and live in many different places. My top pick would be to live in London. But that might just be an inner dork trying to live out Harry Potter!

I was raised a Republican (Alabama, remember?) but even at a young age I could tell that I did not feel the same way as my mom and brother when it came to things like gay marriage, immigration, welfare, drug control, etc. So I started to consider myself a liberal Republican. I do not believe that gay marriage should even be a governmental issue. I am a huge support of the separation of church and state and to me, gay marriage is an issue of church. I don't buy the argument of, "Well two guys could just get married for tax or benefit reasons and then cheat the system." A man and a women couldn't do the same thing? To me, it's non of anyone's business who someone else wants to marry. As long as the other person is legal and its a human being... I don't see the big deal. I have the mentality that everyone would be a lot happier if we all just minded our own business. As long as the actions of others do not harm or endanger those around them, I don't see why anyone should care. Having described these feelings to a friend of mine recently she told me that I have the beliefs of a Libertarian. So that is what I have started to officially consider myself. I even changed it on Facebook under my political views. So you know its serious!

This blog is primarily made to satisfy part of my Government class but I hope to receive an understanding of different parts of the government that I am, frankly, clueless about. I wish that I had a better understanding of how our government works and how it is being run. I feel like the news media is full of their own opinions and agenda so I never know what to believe. I end up watching two different news stations and piece together what halfway makes sense and hoping that that is that truth! I think this is one thing that should be outlawed! Media over exaggerating and pushing their watchers/readers in one direction. Although I suppose it would be a little extreme to make it illegal. But that's how against it I am.

I named this blog Political Incorrect because its kind of a play on words. It is suppose to be a joke about my little knowledge of political issues and also a play with being "politically incorrect" since I seem to have different opinions from other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment