Me at Edzell Castle in Scotland, UK

Me at Edzell Castle in Scotland, UK
A friend and I traveled to Scotland and this is inside Edzell Castle.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Lesser of Two Evils


It was actually pretty difficult for me to come up with a topic to write about for this blog post. Which, to be honest, is amazing to me because I am usually pretty opinionated about a lot of issues. I have been watching a few different news channels about the coming elections and it frankly scares me. We are literally in an election where voters will have to choose the lesser of two evils.

First you have Obama who will obviously be the Democratic Party representative. Besides the fact that I am a different party than Obama so I will, of course, have different opinions on his platforms than a democratic supporters would, I do not feel that he is even very American. And that is not a play on the whole birth certificate controversy that has surrounded his term and campaign. Which while we are on that topic, how can someone run (and be elected) without being able to provide a simple document like a birth certificate? That is one of the most basic rules to being President of the United States. How can he have surpassed that? But besides that, one of my biggest pet peeves with Obama is the fact that he sticks the government’s nose into places that it does not belong. For example, when he “saved” the auto industry from bankruptcy by bailing them out with millions of dollars. America is supposed to be a free market. It is up to the individual businesses responsibility to keep up with their accounting and financing. The auto industry probably wouldn’t have been in such bad shape if it wasn’t for the Democratic Party’s insistent use of “global warming” as a scare tactic to make consumers buy hybrid cars from companies that the government partly owned. Ever think about that? The government basically invested money into a company so, of course, they will want consumers to feel compelled to buy cars from that company. It is all just very shady to me and I believe that the longer citizens go on not trusting their government is a very dangerous thing.

On the other side of the campaign you have either Mitt Romney or Rick Santorum. These two men scare me! Romney basically hates women. He would (try to at least) remove all Planned Parenthood facilities and any type of women’s health and women’s decision about their health. As a woman, I do not like the idea of some man bringing his political and religious ideas into my life and making my decisions for me. As for Santorum, he doesn’t even know what is in the constitution because he apparently has never heard of the separation of Church and State. He inhumane war against the lesbian, gay and bisexual community reminds me of Hitler. The fact the he can be quoted as saying “One of the few things I agree with the Taliban on…”, is outrageous. He was speaking about the Taliban’s hatred of homosexuals. I do not want a president who has anything in common with the Taliban. Do you?

America isn’t what it used to be. It isn’t the land of the free and it sure isn’t the home of the brave. It is the land of lies and selfish agendas. I do not think that any of the potential candidates remember what America was founded for and what it, at one time, stood for. Personally, I would love to see this country become the biggest and best in the economy and education again. But, apparently, the bigger concerns for our candidates are decisions that don’t involve them and what some people choose to do in their bedrooms. There are so many concerns and worries in my mind that that is why I could not just focus on one issue for this blog. Our into government is an issue that needs to be addressed.

1 comment:

  1. After reading Carrie Hicks editorial Lesser of Two Evils, I can say that we come close to sharing almost identical political views because of the fact that I agree with all of her opinions on the political issues discussed in this blog. I would like to see where she got her information from that she used to back her opinions, particularly for the quote she gives from Santorum. But I will say that it seems that for the most part her conclusions were drawn from an overall view of the subject as a opposed to finite details. This means that the information she supported her opinions with could have been past knowledge or tidbits she has picked up as she's watched the elections. This shows that in her case citing her sources may not have been necessary, so the lack in sources does not completely take away from her credibility. Aside from her lack of sources I have no complaints for this editorial. I agree with what she is trying to say about the candidates since I feel the same way. I don't really support one candidate or the other since I don't agree completely with any of their platforms. I like how she describes it as choosing the “lesser of the two evils” because that is exactly how I feel right now when it comes to choosing a candidate. This will be my first year to vote and I want to make sure I choose exactly the right candidate who will support my political beliefs, but what do I do when none of the candidate do this? And I love, and I mean love, what she says about where our candidates focus seems to be now days. “But, apparently, the bigger concerns for our candidates are decisions that don’t involve them and what some people choose to do in their bedrooms,” to me this hits the nail on the head with the current political issues in circulation. Who cares about who’s marrying who? Why don’t we put all that effort towards something that will affect the entire population instead of just a small portion of it? For example, the awesome economy we are living in right now is on the very top of my list of concerns and I’m only 17.

    ReplyDelete